Saturday, November 18, 2023

More urban sketching

I have been having quite the foray into sketching - pen and wash - and enjoying the many many variations you can have on this theme ... from the ridiculously gorgeously detailed to the really abstract. I lean more towards the messy end, so I have sketched along with a few Youtube videos from Tobysketchloose .

He also has a lovely british accent that I enjoy listening to - I have no idea what sort it is Pam, and to be honest I do like almost every british accent I hear! There is a posh uni girl accent that I hear on Tiktok sometimes that is a bit grating, but that's about it, the rest are delightful.

I have learned to slow the lines right down, and give them a bit of texture, rather than dashing off something 'straight'. And it is better for the washes to blend and overlap, rather than colouring between the lines. I haven't quite got shading and hatching down yet, but Toby does a four stage process of big shapes, soft colour, bold colour, finishing lines which makes sense to me. 

The big challenge is not so much the drawing as looking at a real-life scene and then translating it into something sketchable. I have had a few goes but it's definitely a learned skill (that I have not yet learned).

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I really like those! I'm amused that you like British accents. Mine is distinctly educated Edinburgh Scottish, though I can't quite think of anyone that you might know of who sounds like me. Do you have different Australian accents? I suppose you must, though they all sound much the same to me. We have dozens of different accents, which is odd in such a small country.

    ReplyDelete