Thursday, November 23, 2023

Back on the splootchy ones

After the agony of portraits and the realism of urban sketching I have had a little sidetrack back to Jane Slivka of the big brushes and white impasto. It is a very enjoyable way to slap some paint around for an hour or two, although I'm not 100% convinced of the results. It's hard to do well, and I find myself adding the wrong sorts of detail and making it look odd. Anyway I meandered my way through a few of her videos.

Still life with peaches (possibly) and red wine and cheese. Yes cheese, not butter, it's not quite the colour I was going for. I think the flowers are hydrangeas.


These are definitely oranges with the vase. Of hydrangeas. So satisfying in some ways, and so marginal in others.

And an ocean scene (or possibly a lake, I don't think it matters). I quite like my fence but the house is a bit ramshackle, and the trees are odd.

1 comment: