Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Other acrylic tutorials

I poked around the internet for other acrylic painting lessons or tutorials and did a couple... first up was a Domestika course from artist Hannah Webb who does really cool paintings using stylised blocks of colour. I love the look of her work but man it's hard to achieve ... when you have pieces of pure colour there's no scope for fiddling or smudging in the darks or lights, you have to have it in exactly the right place. And it's important that your edges are clean. My edges are filthy. I did a bird, it isn't great.


I also did one of the free beginners videos with Will Kemp, which was quite serious. Definitely more about the right way to do things in a classical sense, although I think that might be what I need at this point. My cherry is OK, but not as good as his, which has the blobs in just the right spot to look like shiny patches, and not blobs. I will do some more of his videos because he explains the theory behind it quite well, and I have no idea what I'm doing. 


It is ridiculously cold in Canberra this week - this is at 8 am this morning as I left for work. Minus two degrees! There was thick frost on the ground.





1 comment:

  1. I really like your cherry (sounds a bit rude) and I really really like the fish.

    ReplyDelete