Friday, November 25, 2022

Realism and Russian fudge

I have taken a brief foray into realism / illustration thanks to Youtube videos by Nia - another talented watercolour artist with wonderful drawing and painting skills that I feebly copy. And get cross. I slow the videos down to half speed and pause frequently ... but even then there are things I just can't do. Kind of fun but kind of frustrating. I did the yarn balls.

And the ice cream van.

I am currently half way through a view from a window that is NOT going well. I know intellectually you just have to push through but I might give up, it's not looking good. I did a hedgehog with a bee from a Diane Antone video ... I don't think I can really call this realism but it is an identifiable object!! surely that counts.

After enjoying my sister's signature Russian fudge in NZ I got the recipe and tried it for myself ... there was a lot of swearing, I think sweets are hard. I even used a thermometer but it just didn't look right so I boiled it for a couple more minutes and then of course it set in the bowl while I was beating it. But I bashed it into the tin, chopped it up and it tasted AMAZING. I do not think there is anything russian about it but NZers know what I am talking about.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I can taste it from here. That painting is pretty good, too. I can appreciate the balls of yarn after all my eggs. I am still amazed that you can get so much detail with water colour without it spreading into one rainbow puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to Dad. Your paintings are amazing! Pam

    ReplyDelete