Thursday, November 10, 2022

More flower paintings

Here are some more Diane Antone flower paintings of quite different styles. First up a 'loose bouquet'. Description is accurate!


Secondly pen over background wash; this is where you make a background of various colours with a very watery wash, then tip salt over it and leave it to dry. Actually you 'sprinkle' salt over it, much more ladylike. Then you have a good look at the different colours, how they have mingled, what effect the salt has had, then draw flowers and leaves accordingly. And add a bit more paint (or pencil, or anything!) to demarcate the various flowers and put in some leaves, and outline with the pen. I don't know if I love it but the background is super fun to do.


Lastly we have a wreath collection of more autumnal tones - I played with almost all of the Kuretake paints for this one - they make a good dark. And there's a really nice deep greenish blue that makes lovely purples and browns. 


The wreath is on new paper that I bought in NZ - just a standard UK brand but I haven't seen it in Canberra shops so I thought I'd try something new. It's only 200 gsm rather than the 300 gsm I usually use but lovely .. a bit smoother than the Arches and a brighter white. Paper is fun :)

1 comment: