Friday, May 28, 2021

Solid flying geese on an angle

I'm still enjoying a solids craze, and it's not difficult to keep coming up with ideas. Basically any block - even the simplest - looks interesting in solids. Sometimes I think about co-ordinating the colours but most of the time it just ends up super scrappy with whatever colours fall off the shelf first. At the moment I am making these flying geese on an angle blocks. 

No, I don't know what the blocks are meant to be called. I have no idea where I first saw these blocks. It could be anyone of the random quilt pictures I have stored in my ipad! But I don't think the ones I saw were in solids. 

So if I'm using solids I've got to be making solids and this was the latest dye batch. Because I've got new bookshelves I've freed up space in the cubes in the sewing room which means ... more fabric storage! How wonderful, and I'm doing my best to fill them up by dyeing just slight gradations. I never know what colours I'm going to use, and I have a tub full of half-finished pots of dye powder, so put that together with the $4.95 / metre plain white cotton from Ikea and HAPPINESS ENSUES. 

Speaking of happiness, there was a very jolly crowd on the Parliament House forecourt as I left work last night. I was on until the adjournment at 8 pm and normally when I walk back down to my car it is empty and quiet - except last night there were happy rugged-up people everywhere. Turns out it was for the lunar eclipse! I would not have thought the forecourt was at all suitable for reasons of light pollution but they had set up a telescope and were playing space-themed music through speakers. I took a photo of the moon which is - unsurprisingly - just a small white dot in the middle of blackness so I'm not showing it. I did see the proper eclipse though after I got home and it was really cool. Proper blood coloured, at least from our front steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment