Friday, May 14, 2021

The desk drawers

I cleaned out the drawers of the Indian desk before moving it out - they were useless tiny little drawers so I used them for poking small random things into. There were lots and lots of business cards for jobs I no longer have, and nearly a dozen two-dollar watches from street markets in Asia ... back when watches were expensive and I used to travel. All of those got binned. 

There were lots of strange bits of jewellery, including this brooch / pin. I thought "that is ugly! not keeping that" then turned it over and saw my Nana Joan's  handwriting, so it stays. And it isn't that ugly either, it's actually kind of interesting, although not the sort of thing I would wear. 

This watch doesn't work but it was a present from my mother for my 30th birthday - it's not a fancy one but I picked it out and loved it and wore it for years. My mother died a few months later so I'm not throwing that one out either. 

It was fun opening up the jewellery boxes to see what's inside. Look at this cute little locket! My uncle was a jeweller - that's his name on the box - and I'm guessing this was a present, perhaps early teens? I would have thought this was the best present ever, in its own super glamorous box, which is why it survived so long. I should put photos of my children in and start wearing it around.

So I was excited to open the next jewellery box. What could it be? Turned out to be BABY TEETH that the tooth fairy delivered here from underneath the kiddies' pillow. That is actually quite disgusting, but I didn't throw them out. I put them back, in another drawer, to worry about another day. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of memories, I couldn't have thrown any of those out either. Pretty fancy tooth keeping box though, my kids ones were in an old yellow Kodak slides box. Possibly still are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother died when you were 30? How very sad. I felt sorry for myself when mine died when I was 62.

    I have my children's baby teeth too, or some of them. I should throw them out.

    ReplyDelete