Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Circles into clamshells

I turned the orange and pink circles into clamshells and sewed them into a top. Originally I was going to have the clamshells going up and down but it looked a bit strange ... actually VERY strange ... so I had to add the borders at the top and bottom to make it a square quilt. Excuse the terrible photo, it was blowing a gale and the top was billowing around like a mad thing. And I haven't trimmed the sides yet :)

I love the pink and orange! It's very girly though, I don't think I'll be able to get it onto the boys' beds without them objecting. Mostly it was a technical exercise to see how to piece these kinds of curved things ... I have a few ideas on more graphic designs that could be really interesting, especially in solids.

What I did find is that the areas, where the points of the shells are, is very bulky with seams - I tried a few ways of limiting the bulk but without success. I think that any design that relied on a lot of circles meeting at one point would be quite difficult .... which might have an impact on what I'm trying to do! It doesn't matter for this though, it's not like there is going to be very detailed quilting on this one, you could hardly see it. And you can't look at the quilt for too long without a bit of eyeball burning. It's quite bright.


  1. wow! it looks like dozens of rising suns! very bright. it looks like a happy quilt. good job!

  2. I'm not normally a fan of orange but that does indeed look cheery.

    I didn't realise that your sons were such different heights as they look a few posts ago.