Sunday, May 19, 2013

A side project

Between not doing anything on my exhibition quilt (I'm a bit stumped on borders) and not doing anything on the cathedral stars (so huge! how to quilt?) I've veered off into a little side project. This quilt has a home - the sons of the friends we stayed with in Sydney have outgrown the baby quilts - and was fun and easy to do. Satisfying all round ... I am working on one for his little brother and then will send them off.



I quilted this in concentric circles in a blatant rip-off of Michelle's quilt ... except that my circles are a bit further apart and perhaps not quite so circular. Attention to detail, not so much. I will blame my walking foot guide though, which snapped off as soon as I started to use it. Just one tiny little bit of plastic went but it was the bit that kept the guide in place so made it completely useless. So I sticky-taped a bit of cardboard to my walking foot and used that instead. It wasn't exactly the same (in fact it was pretty terrible) but in theory the idea was sound, and I love marking a quilt top by drawing around a dinner plate with a frixion pen and going from there!

And on a completely different note, I was tidying up the bedroom on Saturday morning and an enormous ten-breasted turtle floated over the end of the street. No, not joking and I wasn't drunk.


This is a better picture and you can read all about this piece of public art commissioned to mark Canberra's Centenary. As you can imagine, opinion is quite sharply divided, but I like it. I don't like that it's temporary - most strange art grows on people over time - but I kind of like the oddness of it all. It has a kind of try-hard-but-still-not-cool-geekiness that just says Canberra to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment