Monday, October 10, 2011

Art ... and not art

My husband and I just went to see the Fred Williams exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia - it's a public holiday here in Canberra for reasons unknown (we seem to have a special day all of our own). I didn't really know anything about Fred Williams but went along to be companionable. It was fantastic - his paintings are extraordinary and show a clear evolution through his life but at the same time staying constant to themes and ideas and interest.

It's the first time I've seen the new entrance to the NGA - much lighter and nicer than it used to be. I'd like to start doing some of the guided tours to introduce myself to the whole place. It's bit intimidating just to rock in and start wandering round! I need a guide.

Every time I see something good like the Fred Williams exhibition it makes me happy ... until I line it up against my own ordinariness. Oh well. I draw things because it makes me happy and stops me watching endless crap on Lifestyle Channel. (Although maybe I could combine my two hobbies and do a portrait of Phil Spencer!!! Nude!!! Mwhahahaha). Here are my hibiscus.

They turned out OK - at least they are recognisably hibiscus flowers.

I am not so pleased with my lemons and oranges.

More work needed.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you were inspired by the visit to the Ntaional Gallery. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your paintings are very good! don't be so critical of your work. you will enjoy it more! i used to be really critical of my quilting and that took a lot of the fun out of it. this was especially true of machine quilting. when i finally decided that my work was never going to be in a museum and that i was quilting because i loved to do it, it freed me up to enjoy what i was doing more.

    ReplyDelete