Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Sydney

First thing Tuesday morning I went up to Sydney for work ... with the rousing sounds of folk music still rattling in my brain. It was an interesting couple of days visiting various government sites - some of which are on the beautiful Sydney harbour. Whenever I go to Sydney and it's crowded and busy I think how could anyone live there ... but there are such beautiful nooks and bays all around the harbour. Stone cliffs down to the water (unlike the mud flats I grew up on).

We went to the maritime museum - this submarine is one of the exhibits. The others toured it, I did not. Confined spaces under the water? No.

This is looking back to the city, featuring my new hat that I bought at the folk festival. It's a proper expensive wool felt hat and I love it, even though it looks a bit farming. Super comfortable and cool... cool in the temperature sense. I am under no illusion that it is cool in the fashionable sense.


We also visited Australia's only nuclear reactor (in the suburbs of Sydney, why not) and an office building in the middle of town. Fun times but I was exhausted by the end of it, after four days of music festival then two days of travel. I got my flu shot on Thursday and ended up taking the day off on Friday! Felt very unwell for about half a day, then slept and felt better.

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's not hot here, even though we're well into spring. It's not cold either but it's been very wet! I could count the number of times I've worn a hat to keep cool (or warm, for that matter) on the fingers of one hand. Well, possibly two, excluding childhood. Different climates...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1962 Betty and friends went into Auckland to see Gwenda her OE, sailing on the Oriana, I think. Betty got half way down to the tiny cabin on the fourth deck and ran panicking up the stairs to the open air. It happened again in the 90s at IM's Christmas dinner which was on a paddle steamer on Lake Rotorua. The boat was open but we had to go upstairs and join a strange group for a very uneasy couple of hours while we chugged around a flat lake. We would never have been part of the seniors cruise ship brigade. I didn't know you had inherited that bit.

    ReplyDelete