Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Francisco from Portugal

There is a Portugese artist and illustrator - Francisco Fonseca - who does the most wonderful buildings ... and lots of other fabulous things as well but I really like the buildings. I did a Domestika course of his and also on Patreon for a while but he's not very active ... and to be honest probably a better artist than teacher. But just watching him do stuff is very educational - with the buildings he uses pen and wash quite differently, using the inking for shadowing and then colour for effect. 


I have done many poor copies, as is my way. 



And he just 'looks around my ordinary town, there is always something to draw' .... well maybe there is in your ancient Portugese village Francisco but try wandering around a town built entirely in the ugliest phases of the twentieth century and see what you can do .... nothing picturesque round here my friend.


I am using my new Clairefontaine sketchbook which also has lovely heavy cotton watercolour paper - so far the paper is performing better than the Winsor&Newton one but it is smaller, and the spiral binding isn't big enough to let you lay it properly flat. There's always something.




No comments:

Post a Comment