Friday, October 6, 2023

Prepare your eyeballs

So.... I thought I would like to be able to paint portraits. Super easy right? A few youtube videos and away I go ... well I did the youtube videos and the results are baaaaaaad. I am always honest about my disasters with my loyal readers (hi Dad and Pam) but you need to prepare yourself for these.

Ooooo first attempt not good. So I thought - clearly I can't quite master skin tones yet, how about I try a monochromatic portrait? Surely that would look more human.

Nup. Avatar meets the Uncanny Valley. I decided to try youtube tutorial number three.

Marginally better, but not exactly very good. All three of these are copies of online headshots and they look NOTHING like the originals. I am trying to do the thing of finding one piece of a work that is satisfactory but I am struggling. So I have decided - most uncharacteristically - to purchase an art course and I've spent many Great British pounds on the portraits in acrylics course by Will Kemp. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've got the eyes more than satisfactory, in all 3 of them, and I think they are always the hardest. Can't wait to see the results from the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm no expert but I've seen a lot worse, some of them going for millions...

    ReplyDelete