Friday, October 27, 2023

Little portraits

The second lesson in portrait painting is doing a smaller half-sheet one - useful as a study for larger portraits apparently. For when people pay you many thousands of dollars to do their likeness. I am not holding my breath. So we copied a self-portrait by Anders Zorn - hence the colour palette - in small. Here is my version:

In the lessons we only did one but I thought I better get some more practice in and did another wee Zorn copy. I absolutely did her no favours, she has very strange cow eyes. But the skin tones are better and the mouth is OK.

And another Zorn, again I make my subjects much uglier than the originals. I do not think I could parlay this into a lucrative career. I am happy with the neck bow, that's about it.

Here are the originals! Comparisons are odious (to me) but I am definitely improving. Mine always look a bit sadder and more worried ... 

1 comment:

  1. Yours are perfectly recognisable. Maybe not entirely flattering, but you've caught the likeness.

    ReplyDelete