Thursday, October 19, 2023

Hobart

Oh my goodness it's Thursday already - work has been crazy busy since I got back and the good vibes of our little holiday have completely worn off! In fact I think I might need another holiday about now, I had to come into work both days of the weekend and that is not at all my preferred method of operating. So I'll put some pictures of Tasmania up, even though it seems like a million years ago already.

We had great weather - not too hot and only a few spots of rain on the first day. Just as well, because we walked for miles and miles and miles - averaging about 18 km a day. Luckily we stuffed ourselves with all kinds of delicious food as well, so no chance of wasting away. We stayed in a little old stone cottage in Battery Point - which is central and historical - very cute and very convenient. 


We loved the Botanic Gardens - colder climate gardens are always beautiful, and we got lots of highly unrealistic plans for the retirement house. Unrealistic because of needing decades to grow (we don't have decades, despite how we might delude ourselves) and also the sheer amount of water you'd have to pour into it. I didn't take photos but there was an excellent cactus garden that might be more suitable.


We went to the Salamanca markets, and the farmer's markets, and had a nine-course degustation dinner. Whisky and gin are big things here - micro-distilleries - but neither of us are spirit drinkers so we didn't do any tastings. Well, we did do lots of tastings but they were bao and dumplings and scones and sourdough crumpets (AMAZING). We went to a cat cafe - this was a super cute picture until the cat moved at the last possible moment. Cats are contrary.


I carefully pre-booked tickets for Mona - including the ferry ride up - for what I thought was Tuesday, but was actually Monday. We went to leave on Tuesday for the wharf and the tickets were saying 'expired' - you know that sinking feeling of dawning realisation that you've just stuffed something up quite monumentally? I was so cross with myself because I'd been looking forward to it for literally months (and it was about $150). What an idiot! They were non-refundable of course but I emailed pathetically and Mona very nicely will give me a credit that has to be used in 12 months. We will have to go back ... silver lining I guess. 


So we hired a car instead and drove into the countryside. This is the oldest bridge in Australia still in use ... 1820s I think. And we also did a tour of one of the original jails which was pretty grim. Tasmania of course is all convicts, genocide of the Aboriginal people, misery, slave labour and general 19th century nastiness. Flogging for insubordination, public drunkenness and weevilly bread.


And for something different, this is a derelict mental hospital. Or possibly lunatic asylum, when it was built. Definitely not the kind of thing you see in Canberra.


No comments:

Post a Comment