Thursday, February 16, 2023

Another blue and white dress

Nostalgia post today - inspired by the blue and white cotton frock - here I am in another blue and white cotton frock that I made for myself, 36 years ago, in 1987. That's me in the middle in the back, rocking a spiral perm. This is a family photo that was taken for reasons unknown - it was the summer before I went away to uni, and my sister had already left home, so perhaps it was a rare occasion we were all together? And somebody had come to visit us and could take the photo. We didn't have a tripod, so there was absolutely another human involved in this shot.

I could be completely wrong in this, but my memory is that there was some effort involved in setting up a bit of a photo shoot. We had to put nice clothes on, and one of the lounge chairs was put out on the lawn to arrange ourselves artistically around. Repositioning occurred. Multiple photos were taken, back in the days of film. 

And my other memory is when the photos came back, and my mother realised my father had made it into a dress shirt, pants and shoes but hadn't thought about SOCKS and all she could see in every photo was his BARE ANKLES. Given my brother wasn't wearing shoes at all you'd think it would be OK but I don't think these ones ever made it into a frame.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right, I don't remember ever seeing that photo around the place. Which is a pity because, being 'not bad', it's actually one of the better ones of all of us. I'm wearing the dress I had my graduation photos in, but can't imagine that was enough to bring on a full-blown 'sitting'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have two sisters and a brother?? You're so lucky. I always wanted a sister - had a brother, and we got on fine, but it's not the same. I imagine. Aren't you like your mum? Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I got in terrible trouble for the sockless look. The flared trousers didn't help. You are right, Pam, she is uncannily like her Mum - see the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate. I, sadly, look like my dad! My mum was petite, my dad not so much.... Ooh look, I'm now commenting as myself rather than Anon. How interesting.

      Delete