Thursday, November 5, 2020

Wet weekend

 We have had the wettest October in Canberra since 1976, which is very welcome but not much fun. The weekend was predicted to be 100% rain but I went to the beach anyway. Saturday just bucketed and bucketed but Sunday was only showers. 

I didn't swim at all - and the easterlies had brought in the bluebottles. They had to move the nippers on Sunday morning round to the sheltered beach, luckily the winds had made enough waves to do a bit of rescue practice. The parents were huddled in jackets and coats but eight year olds are pretty unstoppable. 

I made a shirt and didn't do much else productive, except buy a vacuum cleaner and a new iron. I had lifted my existing iron from my dad's cupboard (thanks Dad) where it was still in its box and un-used  but it had given up the temperature control ghost and started randomly melting things. The only problem is I deliberately bought an auto-off iron in case I forget about it - turns itself off after 30 minutes. I have one at home and it's great, but the new one doesn't just turn itself off it beeps angrily until you turn it off or use it. What is the point of that? I just want an iron that will quietly go to sleep, not something else in the house that complains at me. In all other ways it is an excellent iron though, so I'll keep it, but nowhere on the box does it say that it has the most annoying beep of any appliance I've heard, and we have a very irritable fridge. 




No comments:

Post a Comment