Saturday, November 7, 2020

Another cooking fail

We had a work afternoon tea on Tuesday to watch the Melbourne Cup. Normally there's an organisational party but not this year, so our little team sat in the tea room with some snacks and watched the race. Very strange not to have the crowds at the course, and most of us hadn't put any money on it. I thought I would make a lemon drizzle cake ... and it failed.


I forgot to put baking powder in - it needed self-raising flour and I used ordinary flour. Which of course I didn't discover until it had been baking for 45 minutes and I went to check it and found this lumpy rubbery disaster. And I'd made the drizzle too. It was completely unsalvageable so I binned it and made a chocolate brownie instead. The worst thing was I was just about to put the brownie in the oven and thought 'the texture of this is a bit strange' and I'd forgotten to put the eggs in. I think I was a bit tired. 

It has been a tiring week - lots of work on and the US election of course, and even though you know it's not your country it's hard not to watch. The thought of another Trump presidency was deeply depressing - even though it looks like that's not going to happen there will probably be a fair amount of bullshit to go through before he goes away. What a nasty piece of work that man is. 

2 comments:

  1. Sweetheart, you would be shocked at what loads of b.s. we have had put up with the past 4 years over here. I said almost on a daily basis, What country do we live in? It's finally over, at least the worst part is. Biden is going to try his very best to heal the country, but the divide is very very deep. You can't go into a grocery store without hearing someone espousing the virtues of the orange one. I never realized, and was completely taken by surprise, at how many "haters" there are in our country. It saddened me so much. I just could not even bear to write the blog, among other things. Let's hope it gets better now, even though we know the fool will not go quietly. Oh, and don't feel bad about the lemon cake. I tried to make some chocolate cake thing a couple weeks ago and was so distracted I forgot half the ingredients and ended up pitching it too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think Boris is bad but he pales into insignificance compared to the orange one. And he has so many supporters... sigh. Fingers crossed for a better future... mind you, I seem to remember thinking this at the beginning of 2020 and see where that went.

    ReplyDelete