Monday, October 26, 2020

Yarn!!!

My Ice Yarns order arrived in record time! I have no idea why, I thought shipping was taking ages at the moment, but I am not going to complain - according to the label it came via Istanbul, Liege, Dubai and Sydney. From my Postal Industry Ombudsman years I retain some interest in international postal hubs, mostly because they are often places you wouldn't expect. And, given 2020, they all sound ridiculously exotic at the moment ... I would be delighted to have a week in a three star hotel by a commercial airport in Belgium right now. DELIGHTED.

And this is the haul. Mostly I went with no-fluff lace weight or fingering weight wool that would sit nicely on a warp. However that blue is a self-striping alpaca blend, and the pink is the beautiful silk-merino blend that I've had before. The light blue is also alpaca and very soft and fluffy so only wefts I think. The cream is an interesting wool-cotton blend that I had hoped to be able to dye for warps but on closer inspection I don't think it's strong enough, so will use for wefts.

That cost me just under $200 Australian including shipping, which is a bit of a bargain. Certainly enough to keep me quietly weaving for many months - I am still mesmerised by putting together different yarns and making them into a length. And yes, I know have dozens and dozens of scarves. I am justifying this by deciding (in my head) that when we retire and move down the coast I will have a stall at the Moruya markets where I will sell them. This may never happen of course, but it has nicely moved my frame of reference from "pointlessly making more scarves I will never wear" to "industriously building up stock for my future cottage industry". Much better.

2 comments: