Monday, October 12, 2020

The wool I dyed

 Here is the wool I dyed - it started as just a plain cream four-ply that has been in the cupboard forever. 

Dyeing wool has many advantages over cotton; it doesn't matter if you leave white bits, you can use different colours without it being splotchy and even red doesn't look too much like blood splatter. And the dye exhausts when you use it, which means when it's done you pour off clean water. As opposed to the endless (endless!!!) rinse and squeeze and repeat of cotton dyeing. 

This is what it turned into- the photo is a bit blue. The turquoise of the top photo is probably more accurate. There is a plain reddish-brown alpaca blend on the weft that has appeared in my scarves before many times. Many many times - I think I bought six 100g balls from Ice Yarns and they seem to be breeding in the cupboard. Not that it's a problem because it is a lovely soft yarn that it is beautiful to weave with and I think it's a pretty colour. Speaking of Ice Yarns I may have done a massive yarn order during a weak moment at work last week. I have been so good with not adding to my stashes! But I fell to temptation, and much yarn is slowly meandering its way to me from Turkey as we speak. I think it will take a very long time....

1 comment:

  1. That's all right, then. You'll need it by the time it arrives.

    ReplyDelete