Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Working from home

Despite the fact that we all have actual rooms, with actual doors that actually close, most of the working from home is in our communal spaces. Number one son - who doesn't have any work - probably spends the most time in his room of any of us; ruling the world from his computer. He was showing me this software that mimics solar systems - you can place various types of planets and moons, then make minute adjustments in their orbits and see what happens. It also rates them on Earth compatability percentages. I did a lot of clueless-mum-nodding. When he's not in his room he's lounging on the furniture looking at his phone.



Number two is going back to school next week and we are all very pleased. He's doing his best but it's hard to stay focussed and even though he has some really good teachers, as a group teachers are not always the best at doing things they're not used to ... espeically with technology. He likes to work on the sofa, goodness knows how, that cannot be comfortable. He also likes to lie on the floor of his room, which is perhaps more sensible, except I smack him on the head twice a day by opening the door.



My husband tried to work from his study (where he makes his model airplanes) for a while but there was too much stuff everywhere, and paint drying, and distractions. So he has set himelf up in a corner of the family room - looking out the window with the dog at his feet. Unfortunately he has also snaffled my weaving table ... not that I was planning to do more weaving, until I can't, and now I want to. We haven't entirely sorted the bookshelves after the kitchen renovation pack-up - that is the backdrop for his work video calls but he doesn't seem to mind.



So nothing exciting going on here at the moment, but I thought I would record this for posterity. And I am no better - I could just push my sewing machine to the back of the table and work up there but I have taken over the dining table. I'm only at home a day or two a week so easy enough to set up then pack up at the end of the day.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny - even with a dedicated office space and 3 unoccupied bedrooms I've still set up to work at the dining room table. Maybe it's the proximity to the coffee pot, pantry, fridge... Everyone does look very comfortable in their spaces at your place though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how grown-up your boys are looking. I haven't been reading your blog THAT long (have I?) but they were just wisps of children, and now... Oh, life is very short. Our oldest grandson is about to be 9 and in the blink of an eye he'll be 18 and off to uni (unless we're all still stuck indoors. But will I even be alive??? I'll be 79. Oh my days).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does all happen, Pam, I tell you. (but only 78 next month.) Perhaps Lyl you learned that working off the kitchen table was normal. Jen, Olivia and Cassie were over Friday (brilliant) and they were asking if I'd ever used the study for its designed purpose. No. too cramped, too cold, and too far from the action.

    ReplyDelete