Sunday, May 24, 2020

And yet more walks

I would much rather go for a two-hour walk than a half hour run. Even though the run is far better for me, it is hard work. Where a walk is just pleasant. I was working from home on Friday so somewhere near knock off time (you can knock off at four on a Friday, surely) we went for a very long walk around the new parts of the reserve we are discovering.



There was a large fallen tree across the path. Are you going to take a photo of me scrambling over that like an old man? Yes, yes I am. And I'm going to put it on the internet. He still did it a damn sight more elegantly than I did. The sun was setting as we got home.



Last week was much quieter for work which was very welcome. Number two's school was put off for another week so he finally goes back tomorrow. Canberra hasn't had any virus cases at all for nearly three weeks so we're hoping that they can crack down on anything that does flare up pretty quickly.

Saturday was raining until the afternoon, so I did a late dampish walk around the streets to avoid the muddy bits. Here is the new field hospital that is sitting, emptily, on the oval next to the school. Weirdly, it has its own Wikipedia entry. It is hard to argue with the decision to build it even though it hasn't been used - hopefully it will never be needed and can be packed away next year sometime.


Apparently the government can sell it? Who to? Probably the USA now I think about it, what a basket case. Friends who had postings there used to say it was a global superpower because it had three million of the smartest people in the world carrying the rest of them, which seems accurate. Three million should be enough, but not when the others won't listen....



And in crafting news, I decided to teach myself crochet from the internet. The concept is fine, but I'm not sure if I'm putting the hook for the new row through the right loops each time. And it's not something that Youtube is explaining very well. I might see if I can find some experts to teach me while looking at the actual mess that I'm creating ... if I bring baked goods to some buddies they might take pity on me.

3 comments:

  1. In my youthful crocheting days I always felt that the joy of it was that it didn't really matter where you put the hook. I may not have quite grasped the concept but it seemed to work. I still wear in bed, while sitting up to read, a shawl that I crocheted for myself when we were engaged. That would be in 1972. Maybe I should retire it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't get too crochety about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynley, I'm far more of a knitter than a crochet person but one blog I've been following for years is Attic 24. She's a "real" crocheter (if that's the right term) with lots of beautiful work and pictures. She has a lot of project tutorials and puts up really clear pictures showing you exactly where the stitch goes - sounds a lovely person too. Probably more fun to read than some of the youtube videos, useful as they are!

    ReplyDelete