Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A spot of gardening

I'm loving Pam's photos of her Edinburgh spring garden (so pretty! so colourful! so alive!) so here are some of mine. We did a solid two hours on Sunday morning which is quite a lot of gardening for us, and resulted in twinges in some muscles I didn't know I had.



I pruned back the sedums. At least I think they're sedums, they were tiny little succulents from somewhere that got planted many years ago and decided to take off in the last twelve months to the point where we can't get past on the path to get to the compost bins. So chopped they got.



We were quite intrigued by the "chop and drop" concept on a segment on Gardening Australia on Friday night (which is perhaps the most middle-aged suburban phrase I have ever written on this blog, WHAT HAVE I BECOME) so instead of either binning or composting the prunings I just dropped them nearby. To be mulch, or grow, or just turn ugly brown, who would know.  There are so many wasteland patches of garden bed that it can't make them any worse.

I did the same with some other succulent things that had taken over the bbq, and the rosemary, and the geraniums. I pulled out a lot of grass, some dead daisies, one rogue bamboo and one spiky bastard cactus. I just killed the mum, she had lots of little cute babies around, so I'm leaving them until they become large and ugly, like Marie Antoinette and the kittens .... a slur I should probably check for accuracy but won't.



This is the nightmare that is our 'lawn'. At least it's green which is unusual. It is mostly that weird fluffy grass and moss. We must get rid of the trampoline, move the bamboo to the fence line, re-establish the veggie beds somewhere where they'll get sun, take the godawful cotoneasters right back and extend the bog garden around the golden ash. We have many many plans, and very little follow through. There is always something more interesting to do than garden, but I like it once I get started. And to finish there's a photo of where the rabbit cage was until a few years ago .... the grass has never recovered and never will.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, how very interesting. I don't really recognise anything except irises and grass. Sedums? There are so many different sedums that they could be, but again, not any variety familiar to me. It's almost as if you were on the other side of the world... I don't think I approve of Chop and Drop!! Not a concept known over here. It's probably excellent for insect life but I'm a tidier gardener than that! Maybe things decay more quickly with you, though, in the heat.

    ReplyDelete