Sunday, May 12, 2019

Suitcase rummage

Today I packed my scarves in a suitcase and hauled them to my $25 spot at the suitcase rummage - a kind of low key market / clothes swap that happens here and there every now and again. I didn't have high hopes (it is more focussed on young trendy things, and vintage) and I'm glad because I sold exactly four scarves over the five hours sitting in the freezing cold! I'd also taken a suitcase of clothes, which went slightly better, although not with the hipsters. Just the middle-aged or elderly, of which there were a few.



I had the boys as helpers, which was very kind of them, especially because the fog didn't lift until one and it was very very cold.  Number one read his book and went and got snacks, and number two listened to music and bought himself some second hand clothes, which are very cool on him and were super cheap.  Lots of people commented very positively on my scarves, but perhaps it wasn't the right crowd to sell many ... with the low entry cost I thought it was a chance to offload some. They are kind of taking over the house a bit. The price was about right looking at the other hand-made stuff there, but there weren't a lot of people about. Perhaps a combination of the cold weather and Mother's Day.


I sold my 1960s leopard fake fur coat to a gay couple who were going to a 'fur party', and my 1990s camel wool coat to an elderly lady who regretted giving away one just like it twenty years ago. My target market! And then finally  home to make a roaring fire and have takeaway for dinner .... not cooking on Mother's Day.


1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you made a profit on your fee. I'd need to charge about £15,000 per quilt to make even my measly teaching salary (two quilts per year). I don't think that would happen....

    ReplyDelete