Monday, May 10, 2010

Just in case I didn't have enough UFOs

Despite the pile of other things I ought to be doing, I thought I'd start a new project after sitting quietly in the sewing room for fifteen minutes, completely uninspired by anything around me. I could have forced myself to do something that needed doing .... or I could have started something else completely unnecessary, so I did.

After a quick flick through the quilt books it's more Gwen Marston - liberated baskets this time. I have some lovely prints that I tend to look at rather than use, so I started with one of them; this Kaffe Fassett.


The blocks will be mostly orange prints on blue hand-dyed backgrounds, with varying colours of handles. There'll be some blue prints on orange hand-dyed backgrounds too, just to mix it up a bit. The baskets are much much fun to make. I'm using Gwen's method from Liberated Quiltmaking II - if I do any more after this quilt I'd do it a bit differently and cut all the baskets with their backgrounds at the same time from a strip; rather than basket by basket as I'm currently doing.

The book says that all the life is in the handles and it is completely true - the minute I consciously tried to make this asymmetrical and different handles the blocks got much more interesting! Good fun, although pressing the bias strips has meant iron burns on every finger so far. I can't seem to get that left hand / right hand thing sorted; never mind, I've only done fifteen of the fifty or so I need, so by the time I get to the end I should have it under control...

No comments:

Post a Comment