Monday, July 26, 2021

A holiday week

I took a week's leave last week to recharge and re-invigorate! We are in the long winter parliamentary break, so a perfect time to slide off work for a week. I went to the coast for a few days, then back to Canberra to get my second vaccine shot (so I'm now fully vaxxed! yay... it is surprisingly reassuring), do some chores around the house and then this week back at work. Boo.

The beach was lovely but cold. Grey skies some days, and when it was sunny it was super windy. Look at those white caps! I was not inspired to jump into the water, just a few long walks and not much else.

I did turn out my drawers full of material to see what I had and what I could use. There were a few forgotten gems in there, and a few small bits I could throw away. I have found an on-line recycling place for fabric scraps so I will wait until I get 10 kg together then post them off. I feel bad about putting them in landfill.

I also got all my patterns down and went through them. Yes, there are heaps and heaps but some of them are from the 1980s! And I think pre-printed paper patterns will be going the way of camera film before too long, so I feel no guilt about having a massive stash. Because I was down there for a few days I made a bit of  plan, and laid out the fabric I thought about using with the patterns that might go with them. Awesome fun to do, and very motivating. 

With the bad weather and the pre-planning I had a complete sewing fiesta. I had also been daydreaming at work for weeks about what I was going to make so there was a good head of steam! I made three shirts that were lovely, one that was a disaster and half a skirt. Fun.

2 comments:

  1. So impressive. I'm not allowing myself to start another quilt till I've done some more sorting of the archives but am about to make a (requested) cushion for my grandson. It's going to have a zip. I must Google how to put zips in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect week.

    ReplyDelete