Monday, July 27, 2020

Escape to the beach



I siezed the moment and took myself to the beach for the weekend - taking a day off on Friday for no reason other than trying to keep myself sane in an insane world. I'm glad I did though, not only was it lovely to have a bit of extra time but Friday's weather was glorious. The water was the glassy green that you usually only get in summer .... but cold. I did think about swimming but the air was not warm enough.



Isn't that lovely? You can tell there have been big swells with the sand banks eaten away. We are not under any sort of lockdown at the moment but I decided not to go into any shops; got my groceries before I left Canberra and didn't even buy a newspaper or a coffee once I was down there. It is a bit unlikely but I'd hate to be the one who brought the virus to a coastal backwater - or brought it back to Canberra. Australia is not looking good at the moment as we struggle to contain the Melbourne outbreak, and different hot spots keep coming up, so I would rather just avoid everybody and stay safe. Which coincides very nicely with my natural instincts.



Other than two 10 km walks I did a heap of sewing - turned that ugly tshirt dress into a skirt (chopped it off, added elastic) which I am wearing today and it's great. I'll take a photo if I remember. I also made a cardigan style jacket that I might wear tomorrow, although I'm not 100% sure about it. It might need a day in the office as a test. I also made a face mask as proof of concept - we are not wearing masks yet in Canberra but they are compulsory in Melbourne so I thought I would give it a go. It's quite easy, so if needs be I can whip them up.



Saturday the weather started to deterioriate, ready for the most astonishing 24 hours of rain from Saturday evening. And probably there today as well looking at the weather radar. It was like a waterfall ... thank heavens for sandy soil that just drains it away. I nearly turned back when I started my drive home because the visibility was so poor. I thought "I'll turn at Batemans Bay if this doesn't get any better" but it did so I continued on. Which was a bit of a shame, I could have lasted another day at the beach, but I really did have to be at work this morning.



Number one son was feeling a bit off colour when I got home - my immediate response was - has he had a covid test? He didn't quite have the right symptoms but they say go in for anything at all so he popped down to the un-used field hospital that they have sensibly turned into a testing centre and was home in fifteen minutes. Not very impressed with the brain picking swab but he's exactly the type that would have no symptoms and spread it to vulnerable old people i.e. me. What times we live in.

2 comments:

  1. Have you had the result? The beach looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I hope he hasn't got it. Old??? You're young!

    ReplyDelete