Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Charity quilts

I'm still making lots of quilts, but forgetting to take photos because they are for charity. What usually happens is I make them at home, then take them into quilters to sit and do the binding, then leave them there! Which makes perfect sense rather than pack them back into my bike bag, but it does mean I'm not taking photos.

But I did remember to do the last couple. We are making "large single" sizes - about sixty by seventy inches - mostly from donated fabric. Although I did use a bit of my own in this, it is not like I'm going to use it for a desperately needed quilt at home. I still have way too many quilts. 

I like this yellow one - the points of the triangles are all from the very very random scraps pulled from a stuffed plastic bag of fabric scraps. This quilt did not make a tiny dent in the stuffed bag ... and apparently we have four of the bags. I will be making scrappy quilts forever.

Pam, those rocks are apparently magma. The clay soil that starts just to our west is mostly ground down volcanic eruption, but there is something called Braidwood Granodiorite which formed from magma, and makes up the big hills and also the rocks that are everywhere around here, including in our garden :)

It has a lot of gold, which is why the mines exist and there was a gold rush; and it is also unusally magnetic, which is why the lady next to me at a meeting once said that Braidwood attracted unusual people and had tremendous amounts of lightning. This lady also made her own chunky jewellery, so I had treated that information with some scepticism, but it appears to be scientifically correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment