Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Labour Day weekend

We had a long weekend so of course I headed down to the beach for a slightly longer than usual getaway. It was the middle of the school holidays so heaps of people around - it is always such a shock after the emptiness of winter. Saturday it rained but Sunday and Monday were beautiful days with lots of keen beans in the water. Not me, I thought about it but went for a long walk and didn't take my sweatshirt off - a cold breeze. I did paddle though. Water is absolutely freezing.

Here is a log that had floated up. Massive thing, and covered in tiny little shellfish. Every dog and child under the age of about seven was absolutely fascinated, and would bury it in sand that would get washed off in the next tide. I haven't seen anything like it. I wonder how long it was in the water for? Does it take years to get covered in little shells or is it something that happens in a few days?

I made three pairs of very boring elastic-waisted trousers of varying lengths and widths; made a zucchini bake on Friday night that I ate for three dinners; read an excellent science fiction book; poked around the shops in Mogo and bought nothing I didn't need (amazing) and gave the place a good scrub when I left.  We shifted to daylight savings time too, which is always a bit disconcerting for the first few days. 

The new chair pads I bought from Ikea are manifestly way too small for the cane dining chairs. However the old ones have basically squashed out of existence by now - they are literally 3mm thick - so the new ones are more comfortable even though they only cover two thirds of the butt space. I swapped them over and if anyone objects they can swap them back, and I will keep an eye out for large butt chair pads. Not as easy as you might think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment