Wednesday, June 8, 2022

It's still cold!

Still huddled by the fire here - at least today is sunny after a week of biting winds and sleet and clouds. I've been at work mostly which isn't too bad, but the weekend was very quiet. Other than a friend's housewarming, which was lovely, and a bit of shopping where I feebly attempted to buy new jeans, I barely left the house. Apparently skinny jeans are no longer fashionable, so I thought I would broaden my wardrobe. I did end up buying some very wide leg jeans but on reflection I think I look ridiculous, so time will tell. If I ever wear them I'll take a photo.

My most recent rabbit hole is isometric fantasy buildings, using my new isometric graph paper, and my new marker pens. Basically I have just been copying Rob Turpin's drawings - line for exact line - and it is slow, and detailed, and fun. I should branch out and design my own buildings, but given the amount of time it takes me to figure out the joins and planes when I'm copying, I can't imagine if I could do it from scratch.

One of my markers is a brush pen so I can fill in the black bits. I have seven sizes of pen so I can do some fat and thin lines, and it took me ages to figure out where to have the heavier lines so it looks normal, and not odd.  I do it in pencil first, then the various pens.

Copying does have its charms though, because I do the exact same squiggles as he does and it magically turns into water, or wood, or stone. Even though it's just little lines, the viewing brain picks up the hint and runs with it! Very cool. 

2 comments:

  1. As ever, I'm very impressed with your art. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. T was watching the Dauphine last night. Same reason I watch the Giro and le Tour - the wonderful scenery and centuries old villages scrunched up in hills and valleys. Your buildings remind me of all those helicopter shots. Lovely. Have a look, they might inspire you.

    ReplyDelete