Friday, May 27, 2022

An election

We finally had our federal election last weekend, which changed the government from centre-right to centre-left and introduced at least 15 MPs who are from minor parties or independents. Fun times ahead, especially for those among us organising a two-day induction seminar for newly appointed parliamentarians. This week has been interesting at work as we avoid the shredding, moving boxes and sad-faced departures. 

Despite the election we decided to go down the beach last weekend so I dragged myself off my sick bed to prepoll the week before - you can vote anywhere any time of course but it is slightly easier for the AEC to count pre-polls than distance votes - and I went to Old Parliament House (the Museum of Australian Democracy) because it gives a very nice voting vibe, among the offices and the exhibits. And you get a show bag with a voting pin, sticker, and your very own voting pencil. There was about a fifteen minute queue but they had set up an entertaining 'know your democracy' quiz (which I failed because Australia only started existing for me from 1994).

The weekend itself was very quiet, other than watching the coverage on Saturday night. I walked to the beach, but then sat on the sand and recovered while Brad walked along to the creek, which shows how puffy and lacking in energy I still am. It looks like he's jogging in the photo but he's actually hunched over looking at his phone. Anyway it has been a very nasty flu. I have been at work all week but I'm feeling it today. So tired, and sick of it, hope to be much better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment