Wednesday, April 20, 2022

The Folk Festival is back!

After cancellation in 2020 and 2021 the National Folk Festival is back at Easter where it belongs, and I had a season ticket, and it was wonderful. The weather was perfect - hot during the day and cold when the sun went down - and I listened to music, ate from food vans and sang along with the sea shanties. 

To be honest it was only really two-thirds of a festival; there were fewer performers, no international acts and  the venues were more spaced out from each other, which meant there wasn't as much of a buzz. I'm not sure what ticket sales were like but I suspect there were a few people staying away because of the lack of headliners, or possibly because they didn't want to get covid. It did seem a bit like a superspreader event, if we have those any more. Lots of singing and playing wind instruments and cosying up on close plastic chairs. 

I was a bit worried that my lack of crowd-fitness would be a problem, and I ended up only going for three days and staying home on Monday to have some quiet time. But my husband came with me for the day on Sunday and we did 11 hours of festival concerts, which is not bad for us. Our tastes don't 100% overlap but that is fine, we can do our own thing. Funnily enough neither of the children were interested.

Number two is home for the week from uni, which is lovely. We have heard all about it, and seen the photos, and taken him shopping ... he has admired our pantry, and appreciated our cooking, and thanked our cleaner for keeping his plants alive (she banned us from touching them, they were dying from overwater). His little surprise was a new beard .... it is very very ginger. He says he is aiming for scottish jesus but it is a bit bumfluff at the moment. Frankly after a term at drama school a ginger beard is the least of our worries, I am glad it's not a tattoo or some hideous piercing. It is very nice to have him home, even just for a little while.



1 comment:

  1. Run, run, as fast as you can
    You can't catch me
    I'm the gingerbeard man.
    Go, Gabe.

    ReplyDelete