Thursday, January 21, 2021

Another summer skirt

Here is another skirt I made over the break and have worn to work - this is a bamboo/cotton/linen blend also from Rainbow fabrics. It has a lot more body than the other one, and a coarser weave, but was also lovely to sew and a pretty design ... reminds me of the 1980s!


I was a bit perturbed because I couldn't find just a plain skirt pattern that I wanted - no darts, just four gores and no yoke. Until I realised that I didn't need a pattern if it was going to be so basic, just a tape measure and a pencil. And some graph paper that came with a pattern ages ago and I had put aside just in case.

It was super easy and worked well. My measurements weren't right so I had to take the waist in a bit before I put the waistband on but that's easy enough, and I put in a lining too after holding it up against the light! It was a bit see through, and the lining makes it hang better anyway. I didn't do pockets because patch pockets aren't very elegant, and I suspected that the seams were going to sit better at 10 and 2 rather than in the centre front, which rules out in-seam pockets, and I was right. Perhaps if I make it again I'll do a single small patch pocket because pockets are practical! I enjoyed wearing it to work as something a bit different. 

1 comment: