Saturday, December 15, 2018

Alpaca number two

One unexpected downside of weaving vs quilting is that I can't give the scarves names! Well, I could, but it would be weird and stupid, and the label would be ridiculously large. So I have to say things like "the blue and orange alpaca and wool one" to describe them.


This is a combination of the blue/grey alpaca, and a beautiful variegated orange/yellow wool that my husband bought me back from Berlin. It is a lovely pure wool with a springy twist that was just delightful to weave with. I put two yellow, one blue on the warp, and alternated one yellow and one blue on the weft to get this boxy pattern. Can you see on the ends how tightly twisted the variegated wool is? It made a beautiful woven finish ... I always thought that wool was wool, but the fibre content is only the half of it.


I've put a filter on the close-up photos (I don't usually) because the colours were completely wrong. This is actually more like the colours in real life than the plain photos were. I don't really understand photography and I still haven't got a way to take decent photos of the scarves! I don't think my latest idea (wind them around the handles of the wardrobe door) works at all well.

1 comment:

  1. That's lovely, but I'm puzzled as to what you DO with all these scarves. Surely you're going to have to get a stall at a craft fair or open an Etsy shop or something? Or have you just decided to give all your friends a scarf for Christmas? (This would work better in Scotland, where Christmas happens in winter.)

    ReplyDelete