Monday, July 16, 2018

Weather-dependent weaving

I've picked up my loom again and been doing some weaving! Not literally picked up, but definitely literally dusted it off, it was a bit grubby. But I blew the dog hair off and started again on the cotton warp I loaded last June!! Over a year ago.  Luckily I wrote down exactly what I was doing because I had completely forgotten everything. Even some of the basics of weaving, but I went back to the excellent notes from my classes and everything fell into place eventually.




It was a five metre warp (two scarves) so I finished the red cotton first half and now I'm doing the second half  with fluffy wool in a simple two-two twill. I would quite like to finish this and move onto something different ... actually I am thinking about getting another rigid heddle loom like the little daggy one that I borrowed. It seems a bit strange to get a less complex bit of machinery - most people get more complex things - but I did enjoy the uncomplicated nature of plain weaving.

And it is weather-dependent weaving because the family room / kitchen where I have my loom is far and away the warmest part of the house. It's the only living area you can really shut off, and it has north-facing windows and a fierce little heater. It was minus seven at 6.30 this morning and that is cold. The days haven't been warming up either.  I went for a run yesterday morning; when I left the car at 10.00 am it was minus one - when I hopped back in at 11.00 am it had got up to positive one, but that's not really warm. I was warm (because fat and running) but there weren't many people out and about.



This is number two son MC-ing the end of semester awards ceremony at his high school. Apparently they have a script they are not meant to depart from although he did squeeze in a teacher-name-related pun, bless his heart. And he wore his best flannel shirt for the occasion....

1 comment: