Friday, November 3, 2023

The horrors of portraiture continue

I've done a few more of the little A5 style portraits - firstly a lovely woman from a photo on Unsplash. Again, I am doing her no favours, the photo is a beautiful twenty-something woman with absolutely glowing skin. Not this. 

I was having trouble finding decent photos that I thought I could manage to paint so ... what is the age old solution to the problem of not having an available artist's model? Why, you use yourself of course! The self-portrait, someone who is always there and unlikely to be critical of your work to quite the same degree. I took some selfies and tried it out.

Christ on a four-wheeler, whaddya call this? It kind of looks like me, but also not like me at all. Weirdly, it reminds me of my Aunty Lee, who I have never thought I particularly resembled. What is with my hair? I look sad, and tired, but in fairness I probably was.

This is not better. I deliberately tilted my head at an angle to get a more interesting shape to work with ... but I forgot about the angle for several features in my face, which means it is on a number of different planes. At once. This is not good. My right eye and mouth are looking up but my nose and left eye are going straight ahead. Picasso could get away with this nonsense, I cannot. At least my hair is nicer. Both paintings nail my massive eye bags, although the first one is more honest about my double chin. Oooof.

No comments:

Post a Comment