Friday, March 15, 2024

Second half of the beach house project

We had a long weekend down the coast - Canberra Day - where I went for lots of swims and found the water RIDICULOUSLY cold because Darwin and Fiji have softened me up. But the weather was hot and the drinks were cold and the cat was happy ... friends came over for dinner and we dreamed of retirement (except for the one person that was actually retired, who is absolutely loving it). 


Anyway here is the second half of the concertina sketchbook, with more beach houses.


This is again in the order I did them - not so much of a marked improvement as in the first half - but I think you can tell where I wandered off and did a week of house portraits, or a week of abstract. It spills over.


I have certainly noticed a lot of things I never noticed before. Many of the houses have those fish-skeleton wall decorations, and there are a number of iron pelicans. 


This bessa-brick house is only one room per floor. You can see through to the other side quite clearly. I think they use the back shed for living as well, it had outdoor furniture (that was too fiddly to paint).


When this house was painted blue and yellow they carefully got a blue and yellow matching awning for the front door. I think this was decades ago because it all looks a bit garbage now, but at some point it would have been the chic-est of beach residences.


This one is a bit of an icon - the words La Mer are perfectly respectable things to have at the front of your beach house - but they didn't put enough of a gap between the words so it's always been known as "lamer". The one to the left is "lame" and the little yellow one is "lamest". 


This ugly orange brick one is where the husky jumped the (manifestly inadequate chicken wire) fence and bit Mishka, back in 2015. The house has been sold since then (but it's still ugly).



Individually nothing stunning, but they do look good as a group!!!! I can't believe I actually finished something, instead of darting about.




1 comment:

  1. Lovely paintings again Lyl, made even better with the accompanying stories :-)

    ReplyDelete