Monday, November 5, 2018

Recreational shopping


After being cooped up all week, on Sunday I did something I don't do much anymore - took myself off for some recreational shopping. I had some boring chores and things to buy, but otherwise it was a few happy hours trying on clothes, peering at makeup, looking at pretty homewares things and seeing what was new in the bookshops. I stopped at a cafe for lunch by myself when I got tired, and generally looked at all the people for a while, and it was lovely. I even bought a couple of shirts ... no books or makeup though. I don't need any.


It is hard to describe how snoozy the middle of Canberra is on a late Sunday morning in spring. It was originally designed with central pedestrian areas with lots of trees and seats - they are all still there but the shops are inside a giant unplanned mall that has taken over most of the middle of town. I like the mall and spend a lot of time there but it does mean that the outside areas are almost completely unused. At night there is a bit more life with cafes and bars (and drug dealers and homeless people to be honest) but in the morning it is very tranquil.


I did a small test swatch of the peculiar microfibre I got from Ice Yarns. It is quite nice to weave with (this is on a 15 dpi) and looks very pretty, but it is very rigid. Not entirely plasticky, but definitely not a soft drape. I think a whole piece just from the microfibre would be very unyielding, but perhaps mixed with another yarn? Or for something like placements that didn't need softness? I will ponder it more.

3 comments:

  1. I tie up my tomatoes with stuff like that from the $2 shop! It disintegrates after a summer's sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better. I agree, there's nothing like recreational shopping when you're in the mood - and nothing worse when you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this concept you speak of - not needing books???? I mean, I too need MORE books like I need more calories, but books aren't fattening...

    ReplyDelete