Here is my squares and circles quilt finally finished.
I think it took me longer to machine quilt than the other one did by hand! I finally gave up on the monofilament thread after trying a few ways to stop it breaking ... different brand, altering the tension, putting it off the machine spindle and into a jar ... and it still broke. So I just went to various colours of thread that sort of match in with the colours of the quilt and it seemed to have worked! None of the colours jump out at you, and if anyone notices I'm hoping that they think it was an artistic decision, and not the ugly truth that it was a technical stuff-up.
I like the spirals very much in the end, it was a great suggestion. Thank you quilt retreat lady!
Here's a picture with the flash on to show the colours more clearly.