Saturday, September 21, 2024

Negative painting

Negative watercolour painting is where you put a light wash down, then a darker one, painting around the shapes you want to keep light, then a darker one again, painting around more shapes ... and on and on until you have all the layers. It involves pre-planning and precision brush control, not my strengths. But the good lessons required negative painting of fish, so away I went.

I am quite pleased with the result, although my fish may not have the correct fins, as is normal. 

I gave it another go with trees, which didn't work quite so well. I think I should probably have painted the trees and not left them so pale, it looks odd.

I gave up on negative painting and did some cupcakes to make me feel better. They were very simple and are pretty. Also a furry blurry cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment