Friday, June 7, 2019

Beach getaway

And then I took myself off to the beach for some quiet time. It seems silly to say it when I've been on holiday for weeks, but I needed some absolutely do-nothing days, and I found them! The beach was so quiet ... it was lovely.



Lots of long walks, especially the first couple of days when the weather was nice. Then a front came through, with heavy rain and whipped the sea up into a huge swell. I went down to Narooma to poke about the shops (there aren't many, it has a population of about 3000 people). I was going to walk out along the breakwater where I took the boys to see the seals a few years ago, but the waves were breaking over the top! I checked it out from the lookout first, and no way, even if it was safe (and it didn't look very safe), I would have got drenched.



And then after the storms our beach was half washed away, as usual. The vegetation is some seaweed but mostly the plants washed off the dunes. Astonishing.



Other than walking and staring at the ocean I sewed two skirts, read three books, picked some lemons (just a few, it's the very start of the crop), admired the neighbour's new puppy, and stopped on my way back through Braidwood at the .... wait for it .... patchwork shop! I bought some quilting fabric for the first time since California in January 2017. I think I can feel the urge coming on again, slowly but surely, to sew some quilts.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, can't wait to see your creations. (Won't have to wait long...)

    ReplyDelete