Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Something new with solids

I absolutely didn't mean to start a new quilt - I have finished the quilting on the scrappy two, so I should be pinning up the lemoyne stars and the sixteen patch and quilting them... but I got distracted by this excellent quilt. Isn't it great? Simple shapes in solids, with a limited number of colours. I am not much of a one for patterns though, and I thought it would be better with some horizontals, and different shaped rectangles, and a different size, and different colours, so did some colouring in and some maths.



Then pulled some soft pastels from the shelves of solids, and I've been cutting and piecing ever since.  I originally had a soft lemon yellow in there, but pulled it out. The only time I've ever thought something was better with no yellow in it!



I don't know how well it will work - my colours might be too similar in value - but there's only one way to find out! And I don't have enough of any of those colours so I have to find other ones that are kind of similar; the joys of home dyeing. I can never re-create anything. It is fun to use the solids again though - I am full of ideas for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment