Saturday, September 19, 2026

Grand plans

Even though we have fifty million unfinished things on the go at the moment, we can't help thinking about more grand plans. One of the unfinished things is dealing with that enormous dead pine and the ridiculously huge mountain of crap wood it created. We don't want to hire a log splitter so we needed a way of dealing with the rounds that are too big to split by hand. 


I rolled eight of the roundest to the front under the north pines to be seats at our future fire pit! It is a nice slope, reasonably near the house for winter sojourns but not too near (for fire reasons) and far enough away from the pines to be safe. I have watched several youtube videos on how to build a fire pit from old bricks (we have old bricks) and I am quite confident in my abilities to do this, even though it will probably not work out at all. But there you go - fire pit. I will also make cushions, for the pine tree logs. 

There are eight of them because I had seven originally and it made me really uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I am even a tiny bit superstitious but I felt like arranging seven old pine stumps in a ring in the garden was asking for trouble? Is that weird? I had to go get another one.


And this is for the not-so-round pieces - my cyclamen garden-to-be. Nothing grows under these pines - including grass - so I'm arranging the pine logs close but not touching; in autumn I will fill the gaps between them with compost or soil and plant some cyclamen corms. According to the internet it should work, and I do like cyclamens. Grand plans.


I also planted the remaining few snow in summer in a bed by the verandah. Under the little-known caulking gun bush. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment