Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Another artist's lessons

Here is me doing a couple of paint-along tutorials with Jane Slivka, who does impressionist paintings with lots of light and colour. I like them, and it looks super simple....  spoiler alert - it's really hard :) She does a bright underpainting, then paints the main shapes on in a very dark green, and adds a first layer of white while it's still wet. Then the other colours and highlights, and re-paints the background around the shapes. It looks fabulous on her work but on mine it's a bit rough and ready. Here are people on a beach.

I love the way it's definitely in bright sunshine. She says you just go with however the shapes work out - sometimes they're facing the other way or differently proportioned to what you intended. I can roll with that. People on a pier.

And a vase of flowers.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bright light, especially in the one with the people on the pier.

    ReplyDelete