Friday, July 10, 2020

All a bit dull

Nothing exciting going on in here in the Canberra winter at all. How many boring facts can I fit into a post? Let's see.

  • My arm is much better and I didn't need a second round of antibiotics (just a slight lecture from the doctor about always putting on antiseptic cream). 
  • We ran out of firebricks and the only place that makes them has a waiting list until October so we had to get actual bits of cut up tree delivered to the front verge, which we then had to carry down to the garage and stack. It took a while but it burns well.
  • The doctor reminded me of all the things I should have been checked for and haven't, so I had a skin cancer check. My skin is "perfectly normal".
  • I finished an excellent biography of Evelyn Waugh that had been sitting in the pile for a while - 700 pages and it flew by. I have read some but not all of the author's other biographies so I will dig them out.
  • My husband is back in the office so I reclaimed my weaving table and put a warp on. It's fun! I am trying to do very light scarves, not the chunky ones.
  • The upstairs toilet is backing up, we are on first name terms with Helen at the plumber's office.
  • I went for my  normal injection at the chemo ward and they used it as a learning opportunity for a student nurse. It took a long time. Did you know that hypodermic needles have a bevel? I always assumed they were round, like sewing needles, but no. So you have to put the leading edge in a certain way, to reduce the circumference entering the skin. They demonstrated .... slooooooowlyyyyyyyy......
  • The organisation I did a live webinar for last week sent me a link to the recording. An HOUR of myself talking. I watched about eight seconds. 
  • The stretch of road I drive down to work and back is the "kangaroo collision" hotspot of the ACT. No surprises there, although I have always managed to slam on my brakes in time.
  • The weather has been lovely and I've been on three 10km walks; more this weekend unless we get lots of rain.
Goodness, that was dull. Australia has had a coronavirus spike - biggest yet - that has put the state of Victoria back into lockdown, and closed borders in and out of the state. There were even three cases in Canberra! All in one household, and back from a trip to Melbourne, but that's a bit close to home after weeks of nothing. A reminder that we are still a long way from normal.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pleased you had all those checks, even though they were slow and painful. What's a webinar? There is nothing more calculated to shatter your self confidence than hearing yourself on tape and watching the image as well is even more demoralising. You did well to last 8 seconds. That virus is a bit too close to home there. We've had 3 escapees (very temporary) from managed isolation (returning from overseas Kiwis) and the universal public opinion is throw the book at them - 6 months jug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't dull at all, though you did make me squirm with your injection talk. Anyone who has to slam on the brakes to avoid kangaroos is having great excitement compared to what's going on here. \Mind you, I did slice my finger with the rotary cutter just before the family arrived for the day, so that wasn't dull either.

    ReplyDelete